AMPED EFRC graduate student Matthew Brady has been selected to receive a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) award. Matt’s selection is in recognition of his outstanding academic accomplishments and the merit of the research proposed in his SCGSR application, reflecting his potential to advance in his Ph.D. studies and make important contributions to the mission of the DOE Office of Science.
Matt is a member of Gerald Meyer’s research group at UNC, and the AMPED EFRC photoanode team. His research has focused on understanding photoinduced interfacial electron transfer processes in dye-sensitized photoelectrodes. In particular, he has focused on chromophores-catalyst assemblies for photoanodes to oxidize halides or water. The DOE award will support Matt’s proposed SCGSR research project, “Investigation into Aqueous Bromine Radical Chemistry for Solar Fuels Production”, to be conducted at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), in collaboration with Dr. Dmitry Polyansky in the Chemistry Division at BNL. Polyansky’s research interests are in photochemistry and radiation chemistry relevant to catalysis and solar energy conversion, electron transfer reactions, fast and ultrafast transient spectroscopy.
- Brady, M. D.; Sampaio, R. N.; Wang, D.; Meyer, T. J.; Meyer, G. J. Dye-Sensitized Hydrobromic Acid Splitting for Hydrogen Solar Fuel Production. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139 (44), 15612–15615. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.7b09367
- Li, G.; Brady, M. D.; Meyer, G. J. Visible Light Driven Bromide Oxidation and Ligand Substitution Photochemistry of a Ru Diimine Complex. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140 (16), 5447-5466. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.8b00944
- Raber, M. M.; Brady, M. D.; Troian-Gautier, L.; Dickenson, J. C.; Marquard, S. L.; Hyde, J. T.; Lopez, S. J.; Meyer, G. J.; Meyer, T. J.; Harrison, D. P. Fundamental Factors Impacting the Stability of Phosphonate-Derivatized Ruthenium Polypyridyl Sensitizers Adsorbed on Metal Oxide Surfaces. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2018, 10 (26), 22821–22833. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b04587
- Brady, M. D.; Troian-Gautier, L.; Sampaio, R. N.; Motley, T. C.; Meyer, G. J. Optimization of Photocatalyst Excited- and Ground-State Reduction Potentials for Dye-Sensitized HBr Splitting. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2018, 10 (37), 31312–31323. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.8b09134
- Troian-Gautier, L.; Turlington, M. D.; Wehlin, S. A. M.; Maurer, A. B.; Brady, M. D.; Swords, W. B.; Meyer, G. J. Halide Photoredox Chemistry. Chem. Rev. 2019, ASAP. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.8b00732
- Wang, D.; Wang, Y.; Brady, M. D.; Sheridan, M. V.; Sherman, B. D.; Farnum, B. H.; Liu, Y.; Marquard, S. L.; Meyer, G. J.; Dares, C. J.; Meyer, T. J. A Donor-Chromophore-Catalyst Assembly for Solar CO2 Reduction. Chem. Sci. 2019, ASAP. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c8sc03316a